21 September 2018

Design Finds, One of a Kind, Trash or Treasure - Richardsonian Romanesque

Exterior Lighting

Richardsonian Romanesque style is known for its mishmash.  In the old house we are rehabbing I saw it in the mantels, the flooring, as well as the interior and exterior architecture. But for some reason I wasn't prepared for it in the lighting.

In my previous post I mentioned the desire to mellow this house out a little and add a bit of zen.  And, one of my strong reactions, to things opposite-zen, was to the exterior lighting.  All the exterior lighting was decent and some in very good condition.  So, I wasn't sure if the discord I was feeling was from the lights and the house or between the lights or both. 






































Seeing the exterior lights, all by themselves, all together on this page, instead of mixed into the stick style, painted lady, romanesque facade, I can understand why some folks might think this house was way too much to deal with.

I asked myself if I had any great design finds or any one of a kinds? I looked at them individually.  Were any trash?  Did I have any treasures?  None were original to the house.  None were really trash. There was treasure potential in the gate lights.

They were the only lights pulling enough design weight for the overall look and strength of the house.  They were the largest lights, seemed to be in the best shape, were of wrought iron and there were four of them.

A wise contractor told me a long time ago that I should be careful of removing value when rehabbing or renovating.  I did my research though and found some wonderful period lights. There were not enough of any one style and they were way too expensive.  We decided to heed the contractor's advice and keep the lights of the most value or treasure potential -match the rest up, as best we could, if at all possible.  

I got lucky.  The gate lights were the most recent lights to join the party and I found the collection with the exact gate light.  They came in various sizes and are made by Troy.




We ordered 12 lights. 

Can't wait to get them. 














  







No comments:

Post a Comment